Fifty Years
This is it then - this Friday I'll be 50 years old.
Dad's birthday is in the same month, only a bit later. He would be 90 years old now. I still remember his 50th birthday celebrations: it was a big party with lots and lots of people, and it was held in the club area on the Free Church premises. A journalist from the local newspaper also came to our home to interview my dad, who had lived almost all his life in our small town and was also its first electrical draftsman. The job gave him a unique perspective into how our town had developed through the decades.
As for me, I have also lived here almost all my life. But there won't be anyone interviewing me for a newspaper, nor will there be a big party. I thought about it, but I'm just not very much into big parties, especially not into ones where I'd be the centerpiece. Instead I'm going to spend the day with my children, who remain the most important people in my life.
How do I feel about it then?
In many ways I'm now doing better than ever. My physical health is okay enough, meaning that it could be better but there's nothing that would prohibit me from doing anything I enjoy. I have plenty of things to keep me occupied and lots of nice friends to hang out with. I have a pretty good job, just about enough money to spend and enough free time to do stuff I like. I'm single (wink wink) and my kids are all of age, which means that there are some lonely moments. But I also now have more personal freedom than ever before, and that suits me just fine.
Sure, there's a bit of melancholy too when I think about my age. Most of whatever I get to see in this life is now in the past.
But I'm going to mope about that as little as possible. What's great about life is that there is always something new to discover, to learn and to experience: New people to meet, share thoughts and become friends with. It's an ever-changing world and I still want to keep up with it as best I can.
Thanks for hanging in there with me!
❤️
I'm excited for the weekend! Sometimes I get a bit sad when we visit you and mom because it reminds me that we're not kids anymore and we get to spend time together really rarely now. But it makes those moments even more special ✨
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for the weekend 😊
Delete